Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Surgery Experience

Hey Everyone,
Surgery was last Friday the 14th. I can't explain everything I went through in a blog post but I will try to give you a picture.


We had to leave @ 5am to get to Jackson General @ 6. We waited in the waiting room for a little while until they brought us into a room. There they informed me that I would have to take everything off and get into this apron type gown. I couldn't believe it. I mean I have worked at the hospital and the old people, who we have to give baths, or really sick people have to wear them. Anyways, I was only going in for surgery on my leg...right? In a state of distress, I sent my mom to negotiate with the nurses. She unfortunately, did not come back victorious. I reluctantly put on the stupid gown and Never got used to it. I'm sure there are some people who can relate to this and I now how a deep empathy for anyone who has to where one.
From there some nurses came in and asked questions. One nurse put in an IV. By this time my personal space bubble had already been popped and I was feeling very vulnerable. I wanted to hear something something from home, that I was familiar with, and I only had some of Yakyn's songs. I listened to them until they wheeled me out on the bed. They took me into another waiting room where they gave me some type of anesthesia to make me relax. I fell asleep and woke up when Doctor Pearce came in. He had just come from an arm surgery, which he said was complicated, and he told me that he was looking forward to doing mine and that it would be fun. That was encouraging. After saying good by to my mom, some nurses wheeled me into the operating room where they put a mask, suction thingy over my mouth and I fell asleep.
Me with Dr. Pearce
I woke up about(12:30) 2 and a half hours later, I think in recovery. I barely remember it. It's almost like it is a distant memory that I might have had. I fell asleep agian and when I woke up my mom was making me eat apple sause and drink water. The aweful part is that everything tasted revolting and I had cotton mouth, which simply means, I had NO saliva. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't stay awake. The nurses, some how, decided that this was a good time to release me from the hospital and send me home. But before they could, they had to make sure I could use the bathroom. Phisical therapy brought in crutches saying that I needed to get to the bathroom on them with a broken collar bone and while I was falling asleep on the side of the bed. Not a good idea. To make this less embaresing let's just say that the anesthesia had done it's job and everything was asleep. My poor mother had to be the bad guy, while shoving water down my throat and trying to give me other discusting foods. They would keep waking me up to give me water and I really had to go but I couldn''t. By the sixth time I started to cry. Everything was so wierd and fuzzy and if I didn't go within the next few minutes they would have to go to extremes. Fortunatly I did which was a relief to everybody. They got me ready to leave at 6, then wheeled me to the van. When I arrived home Danny and JD carried me inside. I must have looked aweful. Khale told me that it is wierd seeing me normal agian after seeing me look like that. I am so glad that it is over!!!!! Thank you everybody for visiting me and for all of your prayers.
:)

2 comments:

  1. I think you look absalooootely STUNNING in your hospital gown:)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your beautiful no matter what you wear :) and I got to experiance the gown thing.. And I even brought my own gown and they didn't let me wear it :) Glad to read you are doing better. LOve and miss you

    ReplyDelete